Organic moisturizer skin care products may or may not be certified and are not required to comply with the strict organic food standards maintained by certification bodies such as the USDA in America or the BFA and NASAA in Australia.  So it’s not surprising to that there is “abundance” of  ‘organic’ moisturizer body and skin care products now on the market.

Water is the primary ingredient in most moisturizers and some manufacturers are claiming to use organic hydrosols, or floral water, to ‘green wash’ their skin care products.  They will make organic label claims, yet still use synthetic toxic ingredients that would NEVER be allowed in organic food products.

Certified Organic moisturizer skin care products on this site will be products that are at least 95% organically produced agricultural ingredients excluding water and salt and carry a certification logo from an a national or international credited agency.  The remaining ingredients (up to 5%) may be non-agricultural substances or non-organically produced agricultural ingredients, but absolutely no GMOs or synthetic chemicals.

We’ll consider a moisturizer organic, but not certified organic, if it contains at least 70% organically produced agricultural ingredients, again excluding water and salt, no GMOs or synthetics chemicals, and any remaining can be non-agricultural substances (eg, clay, bicarb soda, minerals) or non-organically produced agricultural ingredients.

Of course, as things change, we may find ourselves needing to change our definitions as well.  If that happens, we’ll let you know if that happens.

Natural Moisturizer Skin Care Products on this site are, of course, products that don’t meet the qualifications we layed out for Organic Moisturizer Skin Care Products.

Also, if we can’t determine if a product meets the qualifications we layed out for Organic Moisturizer Skin Care Products, and it obviously is not labeled a certified organic moisturizer, than we will call it ‘natural’ even if it claims to be organic.

Of course, we will not consider a moisturizer “natural” if it contains GMOs or synthetics chemicals.  Those things are just UN-natural!

I'm hoping this mask will get rid of the skin peeling off of my face.
Creative Commons License photo credit: TheGirlsNY

Natural and Organic Facial Moisturizers play an important role in your regular daily skin care routine and are part of your “pamper-yourself” facials.

The biggest difference between moisturizers are the ingredients and how those ingredients are collected and produced.  The best quality moisturizers are, of course, organic and will be made from whole plant ingredients and extracts.

Ingredients like this still allow your skin to breath, perspire and do its natural functions unlike unnatural, chemical-laden, petrochemical moisturizers which coat your face in kind  of a “plastic-wrap”.  And of course, what you put on your skin is what you feed your skin.

When reading labels you want to beware of words like “derived from” some plant.  Cosmetic and skincare companies use this phrase to make things sound more natural than they really are.

For example, most parents would feed their children a naturally grown potato, even if it were not organically grown.  But they would be seriously harming their children if they served them vodka derived from those same naturally grown potatoes.

So, beware of the phrase “derived from” when shopping for your natural and organic facial moisturizers.

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

Organic Moisturizer Certification is dependent on the ingredients of the product since body care products are not required to comply with the stringent organic food standards maintained by certification bodies.

So if an organic moisturizer carries a certification logo, you know that moisturizer’s ingredients meet or exceed the standards of that certification agency.

Here is a list of some certification agencies and their logos to look for.  But beware, the standards are not the same for all of them.  We will be evaluating and these seals of organic authenticity and how they relate to organic moisturizers in the future.

Official seal of the International Federation of Organic Agriculture Movements

Image via Wikipedia

Official seal of the National Organic Program

Image via Wikipedia

Australian organic seal

Image via Wikipedia

Agriculture biologique-logo

Image via Wikipedia

Official German Organic Seal

Image via Wikipedia

Official seal of the Japanese Agricultural Standard

Image via Wikipedia

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

This site is brand new, but coming soon we’ll be posting lots of information about Natural and Organic Moisturizers.

Who would have thought you could start a blog all about Natural and Organic Moisturizers?

Well we have lots of tips and information to share with you, and it’s all coming soon.